An ode to the great age of steam trains
Dear Sir, — Here are two images of the Royal Scot steam locomotive collecting passengers at Sandbach on Saturday, 15th February, while hauling the Pennine and Valleys Explorer.
The engine has an interesting history in that it was built as a 6100 in 1927 by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and named Royal Scot. However, in 1933 the engine swapped places with an identical locomotive 6152, The King’s Dragoon Guardsman, the latter being newly overhauled and preferred for an expedition to Chicago in the United States. Thus, this particular locomotive is, in fact, not the original Royal Scot that, running as 46152, was scrapped in 1965 when steam traction was being withdrawn from the network. The current 46100 (the number four was added when the railways were nationalised in 1948) was rebuilt into its current form at Crewe in 1950.
Fitted with a commemorative nameplate, 46100 was rescued from the scrap man by Sir Billy Butlin, who put it on display at Skegness in 1963. On 16th March 1971, 6100 departed from Skegness for the Bressingham Steam Museum and was returned to steam in 1972. It ran until 1978 when it once more became a static exhibit and was eventually sold to Bressingham in May 1989. Since 2009, 46100 has been owned and fully restored by the Royal Scot Locomotive and General Trust and normally stabled at Crewe. — Yours faithfully,