The musings of . . . A Simple Soul

DUMB: I refer to the bloke who decided to ticket an ambulance for parking on double yellow lines on a Northwich car park. It seems the crew had not had a break for several hours and nipped into Tesco for a takeaway snack and a drink. They were still on call and the parking bays are not really ambulance friendly. Wisdom prevailed and the crew were eventually let off by the parking ticket company. No doubt this bloke who issued the ticket has proper meal breaks to relieve the stress of his highly skilled job and would be the first to complain if an ambulance was late to arrive for an emergency at his home. “Sorry we were late, we just nipped into Tesco but had to park half a mile away, as there was nowhere to park on site.” As Del Boy would have said: “What a plonker!” Whatever happened to that thing called common sense?
LATE NIGHT TV: Not being able to sleep the other night, I got up and watched a bit of late night television. My advice is don’t bother; read a book instead. It’s full of boring news clips shown over and over, gambling, shopping channels, old game shows, etc. I even caught an Escape to the Country from 2011, hosted by that Jules Hudson chap. Is he the only bloke who still uses the words jolly and hurrah in everyday language? Still, it did have a good effect on me; I fell asleep watching.
BEANO: I read today that the Beano comic is 80 years old. Blimey, I wasn’t far off being around for its first issue. I loved the comics of that era and always had several each week. Like many simple souls of my age, it taught us to read and was just good clean fun. By today’s politically correct standards, I suppose it contained violence, racism, sexism and all the other “isms” you can think of, but no-one ever used bad language or four-letter words and we loved it. Happy birthday, Beano! 
TOWN: I had the opportunity to wander around the pedestrian area in Congleton the other afternoon, while Mrs Simple Soul was having an eye test. The new paving was supposed to improve the look of the place, but already it has a rundown look. The light-coloured flags are stained with oil, tyre marks and spillages. I note there are no longer any bollards to restrict vehicle access, and as I arrived at 4pm (when vehicles can have access) there were already several white vans, cars and a lorry parked up. Four cars just drove through without stopping and several cyclists, children and adults, rode through in both directions. No doubt no thought has been given to the cost of maintaining this paving and I hate to think what it will look like this time next year. Obviously no one in authority patrols the area, and I’m told it’s used as a short cut by numerous vehicles during the morning rush hour. In fact, at times it’s a by-pass to the by-pass! It seems the word pedestrian has little meaning these days.
COUNCILS: It seems that the Government’s cuts to local councils is about to come home and bite them. It seems Northampton council is close to bankruptcy and even some of the most essential services to children and the elderly will have to be cut if the Government doesn’t step in. No doubt other councils will follow and we may find that it will cost more to bail them out than what was saved in the first place.
GERMS: Here’s a couple of questions for clever clogs out there… Going around the supermarket the other day I noticed you can buy all-purpose cleaner, kitchen cleaner, bathroom cleaner and shower cleaner. Can anyone tell me what the difference is? Would one not do all the different locations? Also, most claim to kill 99.9% of all known household germs, so what germ is the remaining 00.1%? Obviously, it’s not known to mankind and that got me thinking of what nasty germ is lurking around the house waiting to infect me. Will it soon be discovered and we will then have to buy another cleaner to kill it?
RAILWAYS: I’m sure you have all heard about the mess the railways are in in the north of England. It seems there are not enough drivers to man all the trains on the timetable. What is very strange is that they have a seven-day timetable, but no drivers are on the Sunday rota – they rely on drivers wanting to work overtime. So, if it’s a nice sunny Sunday and the drivers want to spend their day off at home with their families, we don’t get any trains. What a way to run a railway! 

This article is available to subscribers only.

Login Subscribe