Up to council to carry out project 

Dear Sir, — Coun Susie Akers Smith in last week’s Chronicle referred to section 106 agreements and their legal status. 
She is quite right in saying that they are a legally binding agreement between the developer and the authority. 
However, the agreement will be for the developer to provide a financial contribution for a specific project, for example the footbridge in question, and it is then up to the council to carry out the project. 
Responsibility for constructing the footbridge will not lie with the developer. The developer only has to provide the financial contribution.

This article is available to subscribers only.

Login Subscribe