Fears over delay to leisure centre redevelopment
Town councillors have agreed to support the redevelopment of Cong-leton’s leisure centre amid fears that the money allocated to the project could otherwise be lost.
Local groups have said their activities would not be accommodated by the plans, and campaigners have said they are “not fit for purpose”.
At an emergency meeting of Congleton Town Council on Thursday night, councillors considered a proposal to delay the work, due to start in January, so that a review could take place.
Independent Town and Cheshire East Coun Suzie Akers Smith, the borough’s cycling and walking champion, had previously encouraged residents of Congleton to object to the £10m redevelopment plans as they stood for a number of reasons.
This article is available to subscribers only.