‘Heartbroken’ organisers have to cancel second Pride

Organisers this week announced the “heart-breaking decision” to cancel Congleton Pride 2020.
The second annual event was due to have taken place on 18th July but due to the current restrictions on social gathering it has been pulled.
Congleton Pride Charitable Trust said in a statement on its website: “Like many other events, we were hoping to hold out until closer to the time to make this decision. However, to avoid disappointment to performers, stallholders, volunteers, community groups and the public, we needed to make this heart-breaking decision sooner rather than later.
“To put on an event with much uncertainty going on in the world would be unfair to the above mentioned. We had to take into consideration the risks it poses to the public and the emergency services, who are fighting for our safety every day.”
The inaugural Congleton Pride event in July 2019, featured Ru Paul’s Drag Race star Divina de Campo, musical acts, and stalls run by local LGBTQ-friendly organisations and businesses.
The event was born after organisers spoke to various local people in and around Congleton and discovered that a lot of LGBTQ+ individuals felt unsafe being themselves and expressing their sexual orientation/gender identity.
The organisers said: “Our hope has been to show everyone what the LGBTQ+ community is all about and give them a better understanding of it, in turn hopefully stopping any prejudice.
“Congleton should be a safe place for everyone regardless of their sexual orientation, gender, age or disability, and we are hoping that our pride event helps to enforce this. It is important to us that everyone understands the history of the LGBTQ+ community and how hard they had to fight to get where they are today within society. However, we named our event Congleton Pride because we want every individual in Congleton to have Pride.”
The group said anyone who had booked a stall or has been booked for entertainment for this year’s event would not have to do anything if they are happy to be a part of the next event, scheduled for spring 2021. Organisers will contact them in due course.
• Cheshire East Council has cancelled its Pride in the Park event, which was due to take place in Queens Park, Crewe on 12th September. The council’s Pride event was originally scheduled for Saturday, 20th June, and had been rescheduled for September.
Coun Jill Rhodes, Cheshire East Council Cabinet member for public health and corporate services, said: “It is with genuine regret that we have made the decision to cancel our event. I appreciate that this news will come as a big disappointment to many people, but our first priority must always be the safety of the public, and with that in mind, this is the only sensible course of action that we can take.”