Bears blown away at Litherland

(NWCFL Premier Division)
After three consecutive postponements, the Bears were looking to get more points under their belt with a visit to bottom of the table Litherland (writes Kevin Lawton). 
Unfortunately they came up against a determined home side and an extremely strong crosswind that made neat passing play very difficult.
New signing Davis Parton made his debut between the sticks.
The opening 10 minutes did not reflect how the game ended, with both sides having plenty of possession but making little serious headway. Kieran Brislen blasted one over for the Bears from 25 yards and Parton turned a home shot round the post. The resulting corner saw a header come back off the bar.
Litherland opened the scoring on 12 minutes. The ball was played into the Bears’ penalty area and Tom Morris attempted to play a back pass but under-hit the ball and George Donnelly fired past Parton.
At the other end, Will Booth won the Bears’ first corner and Josh Ryder was unlucky not to get a header in, the defender just getting there first.
The Bears applied some pressure but couldn’t get in the final shot, Aaron Bott firing one wide after a good turn and Johns firing over from the edge of the box.
The lead was doubled on 40 minutes. Litherland won a corner and the ball was played in to the six-yard box, no one seemed to want to defend it. Parton tried a punch and didn’t connect giving David Christ the chance to head home.
On the stroke of half-time the home side missed a sitter, Brislen failing to intercept a through-ball, which was collected out on the left and fired in to the Bears’ box, but there were no strikers there to fire home.

Litherland REMYCA    2
Congleton Town    0

There was a bit more urgency from the Bears at the start of the second half and a couple of half chances were created but nothing on target.
Ricky Bridge was in the wars, twice having to have treatment, but he bravely carried on.
Several balls were played into the home penalty area, but on each occasion, there were no Bears’ strikers on hand to finish.
Kyle Diskin came off the bench on 70 minutes, his first action for several weeks through injury, looking to add some strength down the right, but it was the home side who found the net on 71 minutes. A ball into the Bears’ box was fired goalwards, Parton got the save in but could only parry the shot and James Murphy toed the ball home at the far post to make it 3-0.
Diskin got in some dangerous crosses but once again there was a lack of Bears bodies in the box to capitalise.
Lee Pickerill came on for the Bears in the last few minutes but this was not going to be the Bears’ day.
The final whistle brought to an end a poor Bears performance in which not one shot was on target. The wind had played a big part but the home side dealt with it much better and deserved the win.
Bears’ man of the match: Luke Horrocks.
Congleton Town: Parton, Brislen, Bridge, Ryder, Morris, Horrocks, Johns (Pickerill 85), Booth (Diskin 70), Cope, Bott, Freakes. Unused: Chapman, Taylor-Mountford, Bergin.