Rovers JFC Reports Round-up

On paper this looked as if it was going to be a very close game to call given the quality of both teams of Congleton Rovers and Tytherington from the Stockport Metro League.
In reality it turned out to be an emphatic win for Rovers.
A hat-trick by Lenny Heap, a brace each for Josh Andrew and Lewis Francis with goals from Joe Eyre, Jake Bradley and Ryan Edwards gave Rovers the win they richly deserved.
From the kick off and throughout the game the Rovers midfield dominated the play, winning most of the 50-50 challenges and second balls in the central areas.
That, coupled with some excellent passing and through-balls to the wide players and strikers who had far too much pace for the Tytherington defence, dictated the outcome of this thrilling Rovers performance.
But for some fantastic saves from the Tytherington keeper the score could have been even more.
It was not that Tytherington played badly, in fact they battled heroically to the end but they can deem themselves unfortunate to meet an excellent Rovers team in such a rich vein of form.
Rovers now go on to meet Barnton in the final of the district cup in March. Their brand of football has also taken them six points clear at the top of the First Division of the Mid-Cheshire Youth Football League, making this a very promising season for the U16s.
Local rivalries were renewed on Saturday when Congleton Rovers U12 White hosted Vale Juniors Vikings.
The previous game between the two teams had finished in a draw and another close encounter was expected.
The game started with the home side on the front foot and midway through the first half Rovers got themselves on to the scoresheet first. Will Peterson burst through the Vale defence only to see his shot parried by the keeper. Unfortunately for the visitors the Vaughan Bell was on hand to coolly slot the ball into the back of the net for his first goal of the season.
Rovers should have doubled their lead soon after when Peterson was dragged down in the box following a long throw, however Bell put the resulting spot kick just past the post.
Vale Vikings then came close to an equaliser when a shot from the edge of the penalty box hit the inside of the near post, with the home keeper just about pushing the ball around the post for a corner.
At half-time the score remained 1-0 with everything still to play for in the second half.
The second half action started as the first half had finished with Rovers looking the more likely to add to their lead.
Rovers’ second goal was not without controversy, when a free kick to the back post was bundled home by Archie Pearce, with the visitors convinced that an arm was used, however with no VAR available the goal stood.
The visitors then came close to narrowing the lead when a fiercely struck free kick from long range was well held by keeper Jack Brammall with four Vale players following in, expecting the ball to be spilled.
At 2-0 the game was still in balance and Vale began to sense that they could get something out of it and they began to push forward in greater numbers, and for long periods Rovers could not get out of their own half.
The game was eventually killed off as a contest when the referee awarded Rovers a second penalty, again for a foul on Peterson.
This time Pearce stepped up to take it. He side-footed it into the net after the Vale keeper dived the wrong way.
This was the final meaningful action of the game which Rovers ended up wining 3-0, giving their players bragging rights at school on Monday morning.Rovers’ man of the match: Archie Pearce.