Triton Hockey Club match reports

(Premier Division)
Triton Men’s 1s came back from behind yet again, this time to beat promotion rivals Golborne to cement their second place in the North West Premier League.
Golborne took an early lead but the hosts came roaring back. Ryan Griffiths got the men in orange back on level terms with a composed finish after an incisive run and through-ball from captain Jack Newell.
Five minutes later, Triton went ahead as the team forced their first penalty corner of the match, which was dispatched by Tom Chaddock.
The score stayed at 2-1 at half-time, although it was clear that Triton was the better side.
The home team made sure of the win fairly early in the second half as Griffiths got a second, with another clinical finish past the Golborne keeper.
The fourth came from another penalty corner as a goalmouth scramble led to the ball falling to Mikey Calam who converted from close range.
At 4-1 up, Golborne put more pressure onto Triton and got one back with 10 minutes to go.
Some resolute, although backs to the wall, defending in the closing stages saw the final score remain at 4-2 and put Triton firmly in the promotion places, four points clear of Golborne, with three games remaining.
(Division One South)
Triton Men’s 2s came back from a two-goal deficit late on at Wrexham to earn a creditable draw.
The game started in a familiar fashion to recent weeks with Triton playing the better hockey and putting Wrexham under pressure but failing to score. Instead, it was Wrexham who snatched the lead and with it control of the game.
Triton had claims for a penalty flick but these were rejected and Wrexham led 1-0 at the break.
In the second half, Triton were overrun in the midfield and the players struggled to get a foothold in the game. This was reinforced when Wrexham scored a second goal, converting a penalty corner.
Fearing the game was slipping away, Triton were thrown a lifeline when a clearance from the Wrexham keeper fortuitously ricocheted off James Leek to Greg Williamson who calmly slotted the ball home.
Buoyed by this, the visitors found their feet and pushed for the equaliser in the last 15 minutes. This duly came when Greg Williamson once again reacted fastest to a scramble in the Wrexham D.
A body blow for Wrexham but a pleasing end to a tricky game for Triton and the point meant that the team had secured their objective of First Division hockey next season.
(Division Five South East)
The Men’s 3s ground out a win in a game they dominated for large periods without reward in terms of goals.
On top from the beginning, Triton initially found the Knutsford defence very stubborn but as the first half drew on the team carved out some excellent opportunities.
Most of the play came from the energetic running of Dan Hancock, Mark Drew and Tom Statham. Statham created the best opportunity but Si Cruxton couldn’t believe his luck as his flick from close range was somehow kept out by the home keeper.
Triton threw everything at Knutsford with fullbacks Dave Farrington and Matt Kerry raiding forward and occasionally leaving things open at the back but Nathan Good mopped up any counter attacks.
It was 0-0 at the break.
The second half continued in a similar vein with opportunities going begging. The breakthrough came when the energetic Dan Hancock attacked from the right. Hancock found Tom Statham who scored with an excellent turn and reverse stick shot into the corner.
Triton had more chances to finish off Knutsford with Alex Potts and skipper Alan Lewis denied in the onslaught.
There was also a strong shout for a penalty flick as Hancock was unceremoniously upended in the D.
Finally Knutsford awoke from their defensive mind-set and Darren Cook in goal and Good scrambled away a couple of presentable equaliser opportunities late on.
The win keeps Triton seven points clear of third place and with three games remaining, promotion is within reach.
(Division Six South East)
Triton 4s had a competitive encounter against Bowdon but were unable to come away with anything.
In the first half, Triton were solid and largely untroubled defensively as Chris Calam marshalled things superbly from the back supported by Nathan Williams, who had another good game.
George Jenkins in goal was equal to anything when called upon and Triton began to build going forwards.
Ben Brock threatened on the right and Chris Wilde was excellent on the left. However, Triton struggled to create clear chances in the D. The hard work was undone when a Bowdon player ran through the middle before striking firmly past Jenkins.
Triton tried to put pressure on Bowdon at the start of the second half. However, Bowdon also started well and got another goal relatively early on.
Triton responded by getting a goal back. Having won a penalty corner the ball was fed in by Chris Wilde. Lee Wilson struck it with Wilde appearing on the left post. The ball was deflected but it was unclear whether it was Wilde’s or a defender’s stick and the disputed goals committee awarded the goal to Wilson.
Triton continued to press and Ben Brock came close to getting an equaliser, running in from the right post but was unable to deflect home.
While pressing for an equaliser, Triton conceded a third which sealed it for Bowdon.Triton was in this game for long periods and this was not a bad performance but Bowdon’s advantage of experience made the difference.