
Former Stoke-on-Trent MP Jonathan Gullis is to become the new leader of Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council following Reform UK’s election win.
Reform UK took 27 of the 44 seats on the borough council in May’s local elections, ending nine years of Conservative rule on the authority, whose area covers parts of Mow Cop, Harriseahead and Newchapel.
At a group meeting on Thursday evening, the Reform councillors elected Coun Gullis as their leader. He was to be formally elected as council leader at the annual council meeting yesterday (Wednesday), succeeding Conservative Coun Simon Tagg (writes local democracy reporter Phil Corrigan).
Coun Gullis previously served as Conservative MP for Stoke-on-Trent North between 2019 and 2024, gaining a national reputation as an outspoken supporter of Brexit.
After losing his seat in the 2024 general election, he subsequently became a town councillor in Kidsgrove, and served as the town’s mayor.
Last year he defected to Reform UK – one of a number of Stoke-on-Trent Conservatives to make the move.
Coun Gullis was one of three Reform UK councillors elected in the Kidsgrove and Ravenscliffe ward in the elections.
He said: “I am grateful to my colleagues for placing their trust in me to lead the Reform UK group on Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council.
“The 7th May was a truly historic evening for our borough. The people of Newcastle-under-Lyme voted for change, and we understand the responsibility they have placed on our shoulders.
“As a group, we are determined to repay that trust by delivering bold ideas that restore pride in our communities.
“That means improving our parks so families have safe and enjoyable spaces to use, investing in our high streets, holding rogue and absent landlords to account, using every legal power available to tackle antisocial behaviour, and working with our local colleges and universities to help create skilled, well-paid jobs locally.
“We will also continue to fight tirelessly for justice over Walleys Quarry, which has caused misery for residents across our borough.”
The Reform UK group also chose Knutton councillor and former Stoke City striker Graham Shaw as deputy group leader.
Coun Shaw had two spells with the Potters in the 1980s and 1990s, racking up more than 160 appearances for the club.
Coun Shaw said: “I am very proud to have been elected deputy group leader of the Reform UK group on Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council.
“This borough is my home. I was born here, I grew up here, I have worked here, and I care deeply about the people and communities that make Newcastle-under-Lyme such a special place.
“I have seen with my own eyes how parts of our area have been allowed to decline. People are fed up with being ignored. They want safer streets, stronger communities, better local services, pride back in our town and proper action on the issues that affect their daily lives.
“I have been proud to pull on a Stoke City shirt, but serving the people of Knutton and Newcastle-under-Lyme is every bit as big an honour. I will give it everything I have.”
Coun Olivia Wozny, who also represents Kidsgrove and Ravenscliffe, will serve as the Reform UK group’s secretary. Cabinet positions are set to be filled in the coming days.
(Photograph: Pete Stonier / Stoke-on-Trent Live).




