12.4 C
Saturday, May 18, 2024
0,00 GBP

No products in the cart.

‘Wonderful’ people are praised by Alsager restaurant as repairs underway

Work is progressing on repairs at Ey Up Duck bar restaurant in Alsager after it was forced to close because a vehicle crashed into the rear of the premises.

Owner David Glendinning told the Chronicle he was hoping to reopen in time for the school holidays in a couple of weeks.

A Range Rover crashed into the back of Ey Up Duck on Station Road on Wednesday, 16th June, knocking down a wall and cutting off the gas supply. Fortunately, no-one was injured.
The premises has been closed since and there were concerns that staff without work would move elsewhere.

But Mr Glendinning, who owns Ey Up Duck with wife Elizabeth, said this week that the wall had now been rebuilt and he hoped the gas main would be reconnected yesterday (Wednesday).

The couple praised the “wonderful” people in Alsager who have supported the business since the premises was forced to close.

Customer Sophie Ward set up a crowd funding page that has so far raised £1,985, which will help towards the wages of staff unable to work.

Ms Ward, of Kidsgrove, said: “The concern started after the owners posted a status to say that they were losing staff due to not knowing when the insurance company was going to pay them for the work to be complete, and that they were considering closing down.

“I have visited a couple of times and also had food delivered. Due to my postcode I’m just outside of their delivery area but they moved the goalposts by stretching their delivery zone a little further to allow me to order. The food is really good. I know of many people who visit, and they all have only wonderful things to say about the venue, food and the team.

“After reading the post to say that they were considering closing, I thought that I needed to do something that would allow the community to give back if they were able to and so I spoke directly with Ey Up Duck and told them my thoughts about starting a GoFundMe crowdfunder. It just went from there.”

Ms Ward added: “There has been some really positive messages and feedback and it shows that so many people believe in this business. So anything to give it a boost would be great taking in to account that people’s bills are going up etc.”

Mr Glendinning described her gesture as “fantastic”. Of the plans for reopening he said on Monday: “The mains gas will be going back on Wednesday and then we will be in touch with the energy supplier about getting a meter fitted, and we will need some plumbing work.

“So hopefully we will be open in another two weeks. I’m hoping and praying that it will be in time for the children’s summer holidays as we are very family friendly.”

The driver of the vehicle involved in the collision, 33-year-old Naveed Rahman, of Woodshutts Street, Talke, was arrested at the scene and later admitted driving without a licence, aggravated vehicle taking, failing to provide a breath specimen for analysis, driving without insurance and breaching bail conditions.

He will be sentenced at Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court on a date to be decided.
Rahman appeared at North Staffordshire Justice Centre in Newcastle-under-Lyme on Thursday, and he was jailed for 11 weeks for assault following a previous offence committed in May.

Related News

Stay Connected

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles